Sunday, April 9, is a day for each of us to take a close, careful look at specific works of art in Floyd County.
The show is called “Art Works for Us” and is a county-wide, year-long exhibit of public art organized by the Floyd Center for the Arts, now in its second year.
On Sunday, The Center at 220 Parkway Lane South (formerly the Jacksonville Center for the Arts), invites everyone to tour each of the current seven sites on Sunday, April 9, 1-4pm and meet the artists or hosts at each site to discuss this unique public art program.
A Photography Competition for the best photos of the sculptures is included in the show with . cash awards of $100 for 1st, $50 for 2nd and $25 for 3rd. The Center has asked me to judge the photos.
The photos must:
- Include at least part of one of the works of art.
- Be taken anytime on April 9, 2017, the day of the Art Works for Us tour afternoon.
- Be submitted as JPG/JPEG files no larger than 5MB.
- Be entered by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on April 9, 2017.
- The email must include titles for each photo and the name, address, phone number and email address of the photographer. The subject line of the email should read: Art Works Photo Contest
The seven artworks and hosts are:
- “Hallelujah” by Charlie Brouwer at Mt. Elbert United Methodist Church
- “Park Bench Visitor” by Citizens Construction Team at Citizens Cooperative Telephone
- “Green Man” by Patricia and Cameron Woodruff at The Green Man Inn
- “Pillar of the Community” by Nikki Pynn at the Floyd Center for the Arts
- “Ascent II” by Jackson Martin at the corner of Barberry and Woods Gap Road
- “Love Blooms” by Annie Badger at Skyline Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- “Core Samples” by Carrie Gault & Donna Cole at Chantilly Farm
Brochures are available at the The Floyd Center for the Arts, 220 Parkway Lane South and can be picked up during normal business hours Monday through Saturday, 10am-5pm.
To view the 2016-2017 “Art Works For Us” interactive map with information about the public art and venues, please visit http://floydartcenter.org/programs/art-works-for-us/.
Next year’s “Art Works For Us” program is being organized now with an informational meeting is being held at the Floyd Center for the Arts on Tuesday, April 18, at 6pm.
All interested venue hosts and participating artists are encouraged to attend. The artist honorarium this year will be $500 for selected artworks. Venue hosts will pay a $100 fee to participate that directly supports this honorarium. The remaining funds for this project are received as a grant from the Community Foundation of the New River Valley. More information will be available at the meeting.
Art Works For Us is funded in part by the Community Foundation of the New River Valley.